Members of the SSSC are required to volunteer for a minimum number of hours per family per swim season. During the Long Course Season, which runs from April through August, each family is required to volunteer a minimum of 12 hours, or substitute a payment of $60. During the Short Course Season, which runs from September through March, each family is required to volunteer a minimum of 15 hours, or substitute a payment of $65. (Unused hours are pro-rated during each season). Remember to keep track of your hours to submit to the volunteer coordinator.
The Schofield Sharks, as well as the Hawaiian Swimming LSC, are run almost entirely on volunteer power. It is imperative that all families pitch in and volunteer for meets, or any other team activity. Below are some (not all) opportunities available to volunteers:
- Team Board Member (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary)
- Stroke and Turn Official (requires training and certification offered by Hawaiian Swimming)
- Clerk of the Course (Meets that we host/co-host only)
- Meet Set-up and Tear Down of Timer Tents and Timing Equipment (for any or all meets. Requires no special skills)
- Meet Marshall (for any swim meet (as needed), ensures only authorized coaches, officials and swimmers are on the pool deck). (No special skills)
- Meet Entry Coordinator (compiles meet entries received from all teams, when we host/co-host meets only).
- Timing Console Operator (operates the computer, which runs the timing board at swim meets. Can assist at any swim meet, if needed) Training req.
- Head Timer (Back up timer for all lane timers, in case of stopwatch malfunction at start)
- Timer (generally age 11 or older, times in one lane at any or all swim meets (as needed). Requires no special skills. Needed at EVERY meet!!!
- Awards or Office Runner (Requires no training)
- Co-host Chair
- Volunteer Coordinator